Disclaimer: I mostly wrote this blog post for myself. Writing my Year in review helps me to celebrate my biggest wins, see what was wrong and define goals for the upcoming year.
After 3y at VSware, I felt it was time for me to move on. Less than 6 months after joining this company, they allowed me to be remote and work wherever I wanted. It allows me to travel the world while working. I am forever thankful!
Last May, I joined Orderfox as a Senior Software Engineer. During the interview, I was seduced by
the idea of working for a company that might not reach the end of the year. I thought it could be a
good opportunity to learn more about startups and how to focus on what matters. 3 months later, the
company got a 9.3€ million investment!
I work with technologies I like. React on the frontend and Node.js on the backend. A month ago, we started adding TypeScript and GraphQL.
Oh, I forgot, it’s a fully remote job 🥳
To be honest, I don’t see myself going back to an office anytime soon.
This year wasn’t very prolific, but I did write 5 posts. Well, 4 if I remove my 2020 Year in Review post! But I had pretty decent feedback from Reddit. My post about “Lessons Learned by Maintaining a Large Codebase” reached the top page of Reddit.
I also did some improvements to my blog:
- ditched Disqus in favour of webmentions;
- ditched Google Analytics in favour of Plausible. A privacy-friendly Google Analytics alternative. If you want to have a look, my data are now public (plausible.io/maxpou.fr).
- 🤥 Almost got scammed (4 985€) - it was by far the most sophisticated/targetted scam I’ve ever seen.
- 🤕 Got RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury)
- 👨🏫 The person I mentored got his first job!
- 🍵 Did another dry January
- 🚂 Spent most of my time between Paris and Berlin
- 👨🍳 My cooking skills stepped up, especially my Indian dishes!
- 🏃♂️ I started running again
- 🇨🇭 Visited my colleagues in Zurich
- 🐦 reached 700 followers on Twitter
Early 2021, I kind of abandoned all the goals I set for the remaining year. I started focusing on myself. For 2022, I got a similar mindset:
- spending more time with the people I care about;
- exercise more;
- work smarter - Better invest my time, get better ergonomics.